How to operate Wemo Light Switch with Google Home


Update on January 24, 2017:
Google Home now has native support for Wemo Devices. For complete steps, click here:

NEW: How to operate Wemo Light Switch with Google Home - Native Support


IFTTT Way of integration (outdated):

Google Home at present does not support Wemo products. I figured out a way to get Wemo products work with Google Home. You would need to integrate it with IFTTT. It works like a charm!

Step 1:
Go to your IFTTT account and register Google Assistant as a channel. Use same account to register as you have logged in to Google Home.


Step 2:
Once Google Assistant is connected, you can go "Create New Applet" in IFTTT application or webpage.


Step 3:
Click "+ this" and choose "Google Assistant". Choose "Say a simple phrase" from the options. We will keep it simple for now. Once you get a hold of this you can explore other options here.


Step 4:
Fill in text you would say to control Wemo lights or switch. I used a Wemo Insight Switch to control my Christmas lights.


Step 5: 
Once you click on "Create Trigger" on the above screen, you would see following screen to select the effect of your action. Click on "That".




Step 6:
Search for "wemo" and click on the Wemo you want to control. I selected Wemo Insight Switch to control my Christmas lights.

PS: I am assuming you have registered your Wemo already with IFTTT. If not, register it the same way we did register "Google Assistant".


Step 7:
Choose an action you want Wemo to do for you on your command. I selected "Turn on" for this demo.




Step 8:
Select the Wemo you want to control from the list of drop down and click "Create action".




Step 9:
Finally click finish on next screen. 
All set !!
PS: It took few minutes for me to get the new applet sync with Google Home before it started working for me.



4 comments:

  1. Will this work if you have 2 wemo switches you want to control? I had one switch working but when I installed the other switch, I couldn't get either to work with this method?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have about 6 Wemo Light Switches and 3 plugin switches. It works for each of them.
    The only issue is that I cannot club two switches with one IFFFT rule. Either it is for all or one.
    The work around is to create one more IFFFT applet which would run on/off for one wemo switch based on the other one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fugured out my problem. But, I have some light switches where there are 2 in a box, where one has a black wire that runs from one switch to the other. Almost like a third black wire. How the heck do I hook a wemo to that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could it be a 3-way switch. Wemo, as per their product page, do not support 3-way switches.

    http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C030/

    I have not worked on any worked around but their seem to be some people talking about it:

    http://community.wemo.com/t5/WEMO-Ideas/3-way-switches/idi-p/428

    ReplyDelete